Middle School Counselor
Website Whitefield Academy
The Middle School Counselor is responsible for developing, implementing and managing a comprehensive, faith-based school counseling program to serve the academic, social and personal needs of students. The primary purpose of the comprehensive school counseling program is the support of students and of the instructional and academic goals of Whitefield. The Counselor also serves as an advisor to faculty, administration, and families.
· Provide a proactive program that engages students and includes leadership, advocacy and collaboration with school staff, administration and community/family members in the delivery of programs and activities to help students achieve success.
· Collaborate with teachers and parents on early identification and intervention of students’ academic and social/emotional needs, working to remove barriers to learning and developing skills and behaviors critical for academic achievement.
· Uphold a Christ-centered, prayerful approach to all counseling needs, tying counseling programs and services to Biblical principles.
· Provide counseling in individual and small group settings.
· Develop and implement planned, short-term and goal-focused counseling.
· Recognize and respond to student mental health needs and assist students and families seeking additional resources.
· Provide support and assistance to students and families as they navigate crisis and emergency situations.
· Communicate effectively with all members of the school and with families.
· Provide education, prevention and intervention activities, which are integrated into all aspects of students’ lives.
· Teach students the knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary for academic, career and social/emotional development.
· Share strategies supporting student achievement with parents, teachers, other educators and community organizations.
· Partner with the Upper School and Lower School Counselors to building programming and student support services.
· Other duties as assigned by administration.
Required Professional and Personal Attributes, Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in counseling; Master’s degree highly preferred.
Prior counseling experience working with children, young adults, and their families; school counseling experience highly preferred.
Experienced with needs of middle school age students & their families.
Strong speaking and writing skills.
Engaging, innovative, and flexible demeanor.
Effective working one-on-one and in group sessions.
Thorough knowledge of counseling theory & practice.
Expertise with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), as well as Internet & software counseling resources.
· Collaborative working style & strong work ethic.
· Embrace a strong commitment to Christian education and academic excellence consistent with the mission of Whitefield Academy.
In addition, the person should:
· Commit to living his/her life under the lordship of Christ
· Model a consistent daily walk with Jesus Christ, and be a Christian role model in speech, actions, and attitudes, which contributes to the spiritual atmosphere of the school
· Believe and affirm the school’s Statement of Faith
· Commit to exhibiting Whitefield’s core value for our students to experience diversity that reflects the body of Christ and support the school’s diversity vision that aims at unity in Christ
· Demonstrate evidence of consistent spiritual activities such as worship at a local church, fellowship with the body of Christ, personal devotional time with the Lord, and individual study of scripture
· Evidence the fruit of the Spirit in the nurturing of relationships with other staff members, students, families, and the community at large
· Be actively involved in a local church
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. A request for reasonable accommodations must be submitted to the HR department.
Work for this position will take place primarily in an office , and secondarily in a classroom. The physical demands of this position include lifting up to 10 pounds intermittently, and between 11 and 50 pounds rarely; carrying up to 10 pounds intermittently, and between 11 and 50 pounds rarely; crawling rarely; pushing/pulling, climbing/balancing, reaching, crouching, and kneeling intermittently; sitting and stooping regularly; walking, standing, and bending often. To perform this job the person must be able to work for extended periods of time at a computer/keyboard; must be able to talk, hear, stand, sit, and/or walk for extended periods of time; and must possess normal manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
Nothing in this job description restricts the School’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
This 10-month, full-time position begins July 2021. To apply, please complete the application available at www.whitefieldacademy.com under About Us/Employment Opportunities. Whitefield Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.whitefieldacademy.com.