Director of Human Resources
Website Whitefield Academy
The Director of Human Resources provides leadership in recruiting, hiring, retaining talent, and day-to-day HR operations aligned with Whitefield’s mission. This person maintains productive working relationships built on trust and ensures the school provides a professional growth-oriented environment for employees. This leader serves as a key member of the Whitefield leadership team, providing input and counsel on matters of culture, mission and the employee experience. This is a very hands-on position and requires an ability to be strategic while also getting down into the weeds of HR.
· Collaborate with the leadership team to understand Whitefield’s goals and strategy related to staffing, recruiting, retention, diversity, professional development, and engagement.
· Administer human resource programs including, but not limited to, compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
· Identify staffing and recruiting needs for current state and future state; manage the recruitment process for hiring top talent into the school ensuring alignment across divisions on hiring criteria, cultural fit, and mission fit
· Monitor and ensure the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices including but not limited to Immigration, ADA, COBRA, FMLA, FLSA, OSHA, HIPPA, EEO, Worker’s Compensation, and USERRA and all record-keeping; reviews and modifies policies and practices to maintain compliance
· Manage on-boarding for all new staff and partner with the Assistant Head of Academic Affairs to manage the annual on-boarding of new faculty
· Coordinate the school’s Growth and Evaluation program taking an active role in ensuring the quality of performance evaluations and growth and development plans throughout the organization
· Partner with the leadership team to ensure Whitefield is a work environment where diverse talent thrives
· Respond as needed to employee relations issues; minister, coach and mentor others to resolve conflicts with a focus on living the principles of Matthew 18
· Manage employee survey process and conduct exit interviews and year 1 interviews to identify opportunities for growth and development for the school; lead culture improvement efforts
· Research and negotiate the employee benefits package in conjunction with the Director of Business Affairs to maximize the services per dollar
· Coordinate regular Wellness events (e.g., flu shot clinic, wellness challenges, etc.)
· Respond to all Department of Labor Unemployment Claims including filing a timely response and attending hearings when necessary
· Conduct employee investigations as needed and recommend appropriate actions
· Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, and regulatory changes in human resources and independent schools; apply this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to the leadership team
· Partner closely with division/department heads to listen for un-met needs that HR can support, to build initiatives and programs to support employees, and to ensure alignment and consistency across the school
· Commit to living a life under the lordship of Christ. Leads others to make decisions and take actions based on Biblical principles
· Maintain the highest ethics and always does what is right, no matter how inconvenient or uncomfortable
· Seek to build relationships and trust by being approachable, welcoming and walking amongst each of the divisions. Listen well and follow up
· Boldly set a high standard and challenge/inspire others to get there
· Remove any doubt about who we are and who we aspire to be. Authentically seek input but act when it’s time to decide on key matters
· Listen without judgment to understand where each person is at and find Christ-centered ways to reach them and bring them along. Proactive versus reactive to push us forward
· Come alongside leaders to help them grow and develop the faculty and staff in each division
· Create positive energy to make growth exciting. Build on successes and imbue a sense of pride for accomplishments
Required Professional and Personal Attributes, Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Business, Education, or Human Resources
· At least seven (7) years successful human resources generalist experience
· PHR or SHRM-CP certification highly desired; SPHR or SHRM-SCP is preferred
· Highly enthusiastic about creating and continuously improving HR programs, processes, systems and tools
· Demonstrate excellent strategic leadership, including highly developed skills to plan and drive the continued improvement, growth, and development of the school.
· Previous experience in an education or similar environment preferred
· Unimpeachable integrity and willing to always do what is right, no matter how inconvenient or uncomfortable
· A servant leader who is eager to serve and help others
· Keeps confidences and is unfailingly dependable and reliable
· Able to leverage previous experiences but also open to new approaches
· Has an eye toward practicality over bureaucracy
· Thrives in a fast-paced environment and is resilient when facing a demanding workload
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to positively inspire and influence others.
· Effective listener, speaker and writer.
· Experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
In addition, the person should:
· Commit to living his/her life under the lordship of Christ.
· Model a consistent daily walk with Jesus Christ, and be a Christian role model in speech, actions, and attitudes, which contributes to the spiritual atmosphere of the school.
· Believe and affirm the school’s Statement of Faith.
· Commit to exhibiting Whitefield’s core value for our students to experience diversity that reflects the body of Christ and support the school’s diversity vision that aims at unity in Christ.
· Demonstrate evidence of consistent spiritual activities such as worship at a local church, fellowship with the body of Christ, personal devotional time with the Lord, and individual study of scripture.
· Evidence the fruit of the Spirit in the nurturing of relationships with other staff members, students, families, and the community at large.
· Be actively involved in a local church.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. A request for reasonable accommodations must be submitted to the HR department.
Work for this position will take place primarily in an office, and secondarily in a classroom. The physical demands of this position include lifting up to 10 pounds regularly, up to 25 pounds intermittently, and up to 50 pounds rarely; carrying up to 10 pounds regularly, up to 25 pounds intermittently, and up to 50 pounds rarely; climbing/balancing, kneeling, crouching, and crawling rarely; pushing/pulling, bending, and stooping intermittently; reaching, sitting, walking, and standing regularly. To perform this job the person must be able to work for extended periods of time at a computer/keyboard; must be able to talk, hear, stand, sit, and/or walk for extended periods of time; and must possess normal manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
Nothing in this job description restricts the School’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
This is a 12-month, full-time position. To apply please go to www.whitefieldacademy.com under About Us/Employment Opportunities. Whitefield Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.whitefieldacademy.com.