Dean of Students
Website Whitefield Academy
The dean of students oversees all student conduct and discipline matters in the Upper School at Whitefield Academy. The dean will work closely with the Upper School Principal and other faculty members to ensure that all students are treated with dignity and respect, even when they fall short of the behavioral expectations at Whitefield. Discipline is administered as one part of a broader vision that seeks to partner with parents in showing students the love of Christ, the forgiveness and freedom of His gospel, and the benefits of living consistent with His Word, while shaping student character and maturity as they receive effective consequences for violating His principles and the code of conduct expected of a Whitefield Academy student.
· Proactively promote positive student behavior and attitudes.
· Serve as an active member of the Student Support Team.
· Support the school nurse with student drug testing program.
· Collaborate with the principal on all matters of school policy, student conduct expectations, student discipline, and student life, to include student development and leadership.
· Promote student spiritual, intellectual, and physical growth, school spirit, and school unity.
· Assist in discipline procedure design and implementation, using a team approach.
· Intervene when necessary to correct student conduct and guide students to make correct choices.
· Counsel with parents and teachers in matters concerning discipline.
· Maintain accurate records regarding student discipline.
· Promote positive student/teacher and parent relationships.
· Supervise and assist both teachers and students in cases of disciplinary difficulties.
· Coordinate parent/teacher conferences for students who are exhibiting behavioral problems.
· Enforce the dress code policy with the assistance of faculty and staff.
· Maintain high visibility during the school day and give support to faculty who are supervising activities.
· Coordinate with the Honor Council and Upper School Principal on student consequences as recommended by the Honor Council and communicate the decision with the appropriate faculty/staff.
· Work with the principal to assess and revise parent/student handbooks.
· Assist with student leadership training when necessary and appropriate.
· Identify and meet with students who are struggling academically.
· Provide training for new teachers in classroom management.
· Teach one or more classes in their specific subject area of expertise.
· Assist with accreditation processes and other strategic planning initiatives as needed.
· Adhere to bylaws, policies, procedures, and all laws that govern the school and its actions.
· Provide head varsity-level coaching in one or more sports.
· Accept additional duties as assigned.
Required Professional and Personal Attributes, Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
· A high level of commitment to Christian education
· A bachelor’s degree in a related area is required, Master’s preferred
· Classroom teaching experience required
· Technology literacy and proficiency (word processing, spreadsheet, e-mailing, internet use, presentation software, online grade book programs, smart board technology, etc.)
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Ability to develop rapport with students, parents, faculty and staff
· Ability to follow through with communication of decisions
· Ability to communicate the vision, ideals, philosophy, and doctrine of the school’s mission
· Experience in both long and short-term planning
· Ability to recognize and analyze problems and develop potential solutions, calling on staff resources and outside help as needed
· Effective time-management skills
In addition, the person should:
· Commit to living his/her life under the lordship of Christ
· Model a consistent daily walk with Jesus Christ, and be a Christian role model in speech, actions, and attitudes, which contributes to the spiritual atmosphere of the school
· Believe and affirm the school’s Statement of Faith
· Commit to exhibiting Whitefield’s core value for our students to experience diversity that reflects the body of Christ and support the school’s diversity vision that aims at unity in Christ
· Demonstrate evidence of consistent spiritual activities such as worship at a local church, fellowship with the body of Christ, personal devotional time with the Lord, and individual study of scripture
· Evidence the fruit of the Spirit in the nurturing of relationships with other staff members, students, families, and the community at large
· Be actively involved in a local church
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. A request for reasonable accommodations must be submitted to the HR department.
Work for this position will take place primarily in an office, and secondarily in a classroom. The physical demands of this position include lifting up to 10 pounds intermittently, and between 11 and 50 pounds rarely; carrying up to 10 pounds intermittently, and between 11 and 50 pounds rarely; crawling rarely; pushing/pulling, climbing/balancing, reaching, crouching, and kneeling intermittently; stooping regularly; sitting, walking, standing, and bending often. To perform this job the person must be able to work for extended periods of time at a computer/keyboard; must be able to talk, hear, stand, sit, and/or walk for extended periods of time; and must possess normal manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
Nothing in this job description restricts the School’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
This full-time position will begin July 2022. To apply, please go to www.whitefieldacademy.com under About Us/Employment. Whitefield Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.whitefieldacademy.com.