Associate Director of College Counseling
Website Whitefield Academy
The Whitefield Academy College Counseling program philosophy is centered on the core belief that God has gifted each student with certain interests, talents, and passions and that He has a unique plan and purpose for his or her life. As counselors and advisors, we come alongside our students to help them navigate all aspects of the college search process, with the ultimate goal of helping each student find a college or university where he or she will flourish.
● Work with a caseload of approximately 100-120 students in their junior and senior year:
○ Serve as College Counselor to seniors, juniors, and their families through the college search and application process. Advise freshmen and sophomores on a high level regarding the college admissions process.
○ Serve as Academic Coach to juniors each year during the course registration process to ensure students are meeting requirements and choosing courses that best fit their individual needs and goals.
● Educate students and parents about colleges, the college admissions process, trends, procedures, and testing; and help students and families aspire realistically and choose wisely.
● Write official school recommendations for each assigned senior.
● Track student progress through the application process including admissions decisions, scholarships, and statistics.
● Assist students and parents with financial aid and scholarship materials.
● Assist with the coordination of College Counseling events, including parent and student workshops, coffee chats, and speaker series.
● Present to students and parents regarding various College Counseling topics in both large and small group settings
● Facilitate meetings between college representatives and students; meet with college admissions representatives who visit campus.
● Serve as the liaison with college admissions offices throughout the year.
● Be aware of issues and trends in college admission, higher education, and testing.
● Maintain a working knowledge of US Colleges while maintaining an in depth knowledge of a smaller set of colleges.
● Maintain membership in professional organizations, including the National Association of College Admission Counselors, and the Southern Association of College Admission Counselors.
● Attend professional conferences and college-sponsored events (luncheons, fly-ins, breakfasts, etc.)
● Independently coordinate College Counseling programs including but not limited to internship programs, awards days, college trips, etc.
● Support Vocare program events and planning.
● Work with the registrar to maintain records on seniors (including GPAs and transcripts).
● Support and develop relationships with cross-campus partners including fellow Upper School faculty and staff, marketing, athletics, and admissions with participation in campus events as needed.
● Take an active role in the Whitefield Community, such as supporting student sporting and fine arts events and creating relationships with faculty and staff.
● Participate in all division and department meetings.
● Supervise/sponsor co-curricular and/or extra-curricular activities as needed.
● Adhere to the bylaws, policies and procedures, and to all laws that govern the school and its actions.
● Other responsibilities as assigned by administration.
● A bachelor’s degree is required; master’s degree preferred
● 3-5 years of experience working in an independent school or selective college admissions office preferred
● Ability to develop rapport with students
● Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills
● Demonstrate strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines
● Demonstrate computer literacy and proficiency (e.g., word processing, spreadsheets, email, Internet, presentation software, and online grade book programs). Experience with SmartBoard technology is a plus.
In addition, the person should:
● Commit to living his/her life under the lordship of Christ
● Model a consistent daily walk with Jesus Christ, and be a Christian role model in speech, actions, and attitudes, which contributes to the spiritual atmosphere of the school
● Believe and affirm the school’s Statement of Faith
● Commit to exhibiting Whitefield’s core value for our students to experience diversity that reflects the body of Christ and support the school’s diversity vision that aims at unity in Christ
● Demonstrate evidence of consistent spiritual activities such as worship at a local church, fellowship with the body of Christ, personal devotional time with the Lord, and individual study of scripture
● Evidence the fruit of the Spirit in the nurturing of relationships with other staff members, students, families, and the community at large
● Be actively involved in a local church
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. A request for reasonable accommodations must be submitted to the HR department.
Work for this position will take place primarily in an office, and secondarily in a classroom. The physical demands of this position include lifting up to 10 pounds often, up to 25 pounds intermittently, and up to 50 pounds rarely; carrying up to 10 pounds intermittently, and up to 50 pounds rarely; climbing/balancing and crawling rarely; kneeling and crouching intermittently; reaching regularly; sitting, walking, bending, stooping, and standing often. To perform this job the person must be able to work for extended periods of time at a computer/keyboard; must be able to talk, hear, stand, sit, and/or walk for extended periods of time; and must possess normal manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
Nothing in this job description restricts the School’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
This full-time position will begin July/August 2021. To apply please complete the application available at www.whitefieldacademy.com under About Us/Employment Opportunities. Whitefield Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.whitefieldacademy.com.