Elementary Music Teacher and Elementary Choir Director
Website Village Christian School
College Bound from Kindergarten. Christ Centered for Life.
Elementary School Faculty
Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: Elementary Principal
Education/Experience Required/Preferred: A four-year degree is required. Master’s Degree in Education field and/or teaching credential (Music Education) is preferred.
Under the supervision of the Elementary Principal and Director of Fine Arts, the music teacher is responsible for teaching music education to pupils in grades JK-5. The candidate will help pupils grow in their enjoyment, appreciation, and performance of music through a variety of planned music experiences including singing, moving to music, playing instruments and listening to a variety of musical genres.
Each teacher at Village Christian School will incorporate into their teaching a worldview that is distinctly Christian and will also demonstrate excellent teaching, learning, thinking, and expression. It is also expected that each teacher will diligently work toward providing a CAREing, Christ-centered education producing students who thrive. Each classroom teacher is accountable to the Principal, and ultimately the Head of School.
- Teaches skills in music understanding/appreciation, harmony, explorations in music and choral music to Elementary pupils.
- Plans/executes a balanced music program and organizes class time so that preparation, rehearsal and instruction can be accomplished within the allotted time.
- Provides individual and small group instruction in order to adapt the music curriculum to the needs of each pupil. Encourages students to develop individual musical skills to the greatest extent possible.
- Utilizes repertoire of all types of music literature, including traditional and contemporary that are appropriate for the ages and skill levels of pupils.
- Leads bi-weekly elementary faculty worship time.
- Maintains care/responsibility for school-owned music, musical instruments and equipment to prevent loss or abuse. Makes minor adjustments and requests repairs to instruments as required.
- Uses relevant technology to support instruction
- Manages student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures
- Is accessible to students, providing academic support, active listening, and advocacy, while observing appropriate boundaries
- Participates in school meetings, parent meetings, and evening events as assigned by the administration
- Is willingly involved in the VCS community outside of school hours
- Communicates necessary information regularly to students, colleagues and parents regarding student progress and student needs
- Executes all duties in a timely manner (holds class on time, meets deadlines, attends meetings on time, etc.)
- Maintains a ‘team player’ attitude and willingly collaborates with colleagues
- Elementary Choir Director- Elementary choirs include Crusader Choir made up of 2nd and 3rd grade students and Village Voices made up of 4th-5th grade students. These choirs will learn a variety of music (spirituals, patriotic, classic, pop, sacred and Americana). They perform several times a year in school concerts, holiday performances and festivals.
Additional Related Duties/Responsibilities:
- Selects appropriate music, books and instructional aids to enhance learning and requisitions musical instruments and instructional supplies as necessary.
- Cooperates with the Principal and staff in providing musical programs (i.e. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc.) for school assemblies, parent meetings and seasonal programs.
Village Christian School seeks to hire only employees with a vibrant Christian faith. Successful candidates will possess experience in:
- Providing a “Christ Centered” education that integrates seamlessly with their content area
- Has a dynamic, growing faith and is a spiritual role model for students
- Maintains a commitment to the school’s statement of faith in action and belief
Skills in selecting and using appropriate technology for productivity and instruction
Bachelor’s Degree required
Master’s Degree (in educational field) and/or teaching credential (Music Education) preferred.
Full-time teachers are awarded benefits and all employees are expected to fully comply with the above job description. Additional duties may be assigned to this position as required.
Village Christian School offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Village Christian School is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for employment are considered without regard to any protected basis under federal, state, and local anti-discrimination laws for Christian school employers. Applicants who need an accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment and hiring process should contact the Human Resources department in order to discuss reasonable accommodation.
To apply for this job please visit www.villagechristian.org.