Lower School Principal
Position: Lower School Principal
Reports to: Assistant Head of School – Academics
Classification: Full Time, Salary, Exempt
Grades: PreK – 4th Grade
Mission: To assist Christian parents by helping equip students to embrace Biblical truth, strive for academic excellence, and model Christ-like leadership to influence their homes, churches, and communities for Christ.
Spiritually, the employee shall possess characteristics that reflect:
• Acceptance without reservation of the PCA doctrinal beliefs.
• A strong clear Christian testimony.
• A mature, godly spirit.
• A person of faith and prayer
Personally, the employee’s life shall reflect:
1. A lifestyle of biblical integrity.
2. A spirit of dedication, commitment, flexibility, and responsiveness.
3. The ability to listen and respond to counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Establish and promote high standards and expectations for all students and staff for academic performance and responsibility for behavior.
• Manage, evaluate and supervise effective and clear procedures for the operation and functioning of the school consistent with the philosophy, mission, values and goals of the school including instructional programs, extracurricular activities, and discipline systems to ensure a safe and orderly climate, building maintenance, program evaluation, personnel management, office operations, and emergency procedures.
• Ensure compliance with all laws, board policies and civil regulations.
• Establish the annual master schedule for instructional programs, ensuring sequential learning experiences for students consistent with the school’s philosophy, mission statement and instructional goals.
• Supervise the instructional programs of the school, evaluating lesson plans and observing classes (teaching, as duties allow) on a regular basis to encourage the use of a variety of instructional strategies and materials consistent with research on learning and child growth and development.
• Establish procedures for evaluation and selection of instructional materials and equipment, approving all recommendations.
• Supervise in a fair and consistent manner effective discipline and attendance systems with high standards, consistent with the philosophy, values, and mission of the school. Ensure a safe, orderly environment that encourages students to take responsibility for behavior and creates high morale among staff and students.
• File all required reports regarding violence, vandalism, attendance and discipline matters.
• Establish a professional rapport with students and with staff that has their respect.
• Display the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents and school personnel.
• Serve as a role model for students, dressing professionally, demonstrating the importance and relevance of learning, accepting responsibility, and demonstrating pride in the education profession. Encourage all teachers to do the same.
• Notify immediately the Head of School and Assistant Head of School, and appropriate personnel and agencies when there is evidence of substance abuse, child abuse, child neglect, severe medical or social conditions, potential suicide or students appearing to be under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
• Keep the Head of School and Assistant Head of School advised of employees not meeting their contractual agreement.
• Research and collect data regarding the needs of students, and other pertinent information including the collection of detail regarding the sacraments students have received or are preparing for. Keep the Chaplain informed of this information.
• Keep the staff informed and seek ideas for the improvement of the school.
• Conduct meetings, as necessary, for the proper functioning of the school: weekly meetings for full-time staff; monthly staff meetings.
• Establish and maintain an effective inventory system for all school supplies, materials and equipment.
• Establish procedures that create and maintain attractive, organized, functional, healthy, clean, and safe facilities, with proper attention to the visual, acoustic and temperature.
• Maintain a master schedule to be posted for all teachers.
• Establish schedules and procedures for the supervision of students in non-classroom areas (including before and after school).
• Maintain visibility with students, teachers, parents and the Board.
• Communicate regularly with parents, seeking their support and advice, so as to create a cooperative relationship to support the student in the school.
• Use effective presentation skills when addressing students, staff, parents, and the community including appropriate vocabulary and examples, clear and legible visuals, and articulate and audible speech.
• Use excellent written and oral English skills when communicating with students, parents and teachers.
• Complete in a timely fashion all records and reports as requested by the Head of School and Assistant Head of School.
• Communicate with the Head of School and Assistant Head of School regularly about the needs, successes and general operation of the school.
• Establish procedures for safe storing and integrity of all public and confidential school records.
• Protect confidentiality of records and information gained as part of exercising professional duties and use discretion in sharing such information within legal confines.
• Organize and supervise procedures for identifying and addressing special needs of students including health-related concerns, and physical, emotional and spiritual needs (keeping the Chaplain informed of these).
• Supervise the exclusion from school of any pupil who shows departure from normal health, who has been exposed to a communicable disease, or whose presence may be detrimental to the health and cleanliness of other pupils. Assure that excluded pupil’s parents or guardians are apprised of the reasons for exclusion.
• Maintain positive, cooperative and mutually supportive relationships with staff, parents, Guidance Counselor and Chaplain.
• Attend required committee meetings (e.g.: fund-raising, curriculum, etc.) and extra school sponsored functions and religious events e.g.: Fine Art’s Night, All School Worship, Graduation, etc.).
• Perform any duties that are within the scope of employment and certifications, as assigned by the Head of School or Assistant Head of School and not otherwise prohibited by law or in conflict with contract.
• Oversee the development of Curriculum.
• Work with the Chaplain to guide and instruct the teachers to provide the spiritual atmosphere inherent in a traditional Christian educational environment.
• Nurture both students and teachers to achieve their greatest potential academically, instructionally and spiritually.
• Maintain in the school a spirit conducive to prayer and study.
• Enforce uniform policy and appearance policy so as to assure a school environment that is focused on group spiritual and academic achievement rather than on individuals.
• Work with Administrative Assistant to Senior Director of Curriculum in the oversight, coordination and implementation of mini-mester.
• Master’s Degree
• Five or more years of successful teaching and/or administrative experience.
• Knowledge of school administration and practices.
• MAP experience preferred.
• Instructional coaching or strong skills in coaching teachers.
• Interpersonal skills
• Effective problem solving approaches.
• Effective managerial skills and processes.
• Ability to work effectively with students, teachers, parents, staff, and the public.
• Ability to plan, organize, schedule and direct the work of others.
• Ability to analyze problems and devise and implement satisfactory solutions.
• Ability to carry out written and oral instructions effectively.
• Prestonwood Baptist Church member required.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
• Regularly sit, talk, walk, hear, and to visually intercept visitors
• Regularly use close and distance vision
• Works at desk and computer screen for extended periods of time
• Turns, bends, reaches and may occasionally use a step stool or ladder
• Be able to occasionally lift between 30 – 50 pounds
• Works primarily in a traditional climate controlled office environment with occasional outside travel between buildings and on trips
To apply for this job please visit www.prestonwoodchristian.org.